Sunday, October 25, 2020

What It Takes to Remain Unaffected (My strength means I stand my ground regardless of who stands with me) by Vanessa Torre

 

I’ve never been a huge fan of stoicism. I never finished reading Marcus Aurelius. Instead, I’m a highly sensitive person. At times, it’s my best quality. I easily empathize with people. Other times, it’s my Achilles heel. The words and actions of others can tear me apart.

I’ve tried to change my internal makeup and become less emotional. It doesn’t work that way. I can’t just flip a switch in my head and turn the emotions off. I don’t think I’d want to if I could.

When emotions rule our lives and behaviors, it causes suffering. That doesn't mean emotions are bad things, though. We need them. They make us human. Joy and pain are part of life. We can’t have one and not the other. I don’t want to live in a world where I have neither just to spare myself the pain part. That’s not living.

The critical point is balancing how much we let other things control our emotions. Our emotions determine how we react to different situations. Ultimately, that reaction should come from within us rather than outside of us. This is what creates our personal agency.

We’re all resilient beings. Our success in controlling our emotions is our ability to harness our resiliency.

What our resiliency depends on is owning our shit. We make mistakes. We falter. We struggle. We make decisions that are good and bad. This is common to everyone. We need to let go of whatever anyone else does or thinks and focus solely on what is happening within us.

For me, it involves remaining unaffected by things that are beyond my control. That includes other people, their emotions, and their reactions to mine.

This is where intention comes into play. The more I live a life of good intention, the easier it is for me to stand with my emotions and my decisions and accept them.

Focus here. Everything else over there is merely a distraction from me honoring my sense of self. I know right from wrong and true from false. I practice this and let it guide me. I control the narrative of my life.

Remaining unaffected means understanding that others may have bad intentions and letting that be their problem, not ours. It may be an act of agression against us, but we don’t have to own that. They do.

Recently, I had someone say a few awful things about me. They were judgmental and harsh. I felt a flood of feelings I never wanted. Anger. Frustration. Betrayal. Confusion. Shame. More than anything, I felt misunderstood.

This is not my problem, but for several hours I let it turn me into an emotional mess. What it took for me to stop being affected by this was to understand that they are not me. I can’t control what they say or do. The more I know myself and understand who I am, why I do what I do, and how I feel about certain situations, the more I can remain unaffected.

Standing on our own sometimes means that we have to stand alone. Not everyone has to occupy that space with us. The people that do are beautiful. The people that don’t shouldn’t matter.

The more I can own what I have done that has brought negativity into my life, the more I can disconnect with the actions of others. Let that be their problem It’s not mine. They do not get to write my narrative.

At the end of the day, I ask myself a few questions. Did I do the best I could today? Did I stay true to my beliefs? Did I act with a pure heart?

If I can answer yes to those questions in complete honesty, I sleep well. If any of those answers are no, I think about if amends need to be made and how to restore even the smallest part of myself. This keeps the ground I stand on firm. No matter how hard the wind blows, I can’t let myself go to the wind. My place is here.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment